Monday, January 9, 2012

Giving this blogging thing a try

Just recently I made an official announcement regarding my husband's struggles with mental illness. This is one of the hardest things I've ever done, because even though I would like to say that I don't give a crap about what other people think, the truth is that I do. I care what others think of me, of my family. I worry about being judged or losing those who are close to me. When David (my husband) had a manic episode in 2007, people we considered very close friends stopped talking to us; I'm sure this has driven my anxiety about talking about his illness, yet I'm tired of worrying about the stigma. Over the past four years, we have found that those who matter aren't going to run away because of a bad day; they support us and make dealing with his illness a hell of a lot easier.


When I told people outside of my "circle" about David's struggles, I not only felt about 50 lbs. lighter (wouldn't it be nice if that were actually true), but we received a tremendous outpouring of support. This spurred my idea to start a blog with the things that run through my head and how we, as a family, deal with David's diagnosed condition of Bi-Polar with manic depressive episodes and extreme social anxiety. So, I'm giving this a shot. I don't claim to be a prolific writer, but I know the difference between there and their, so I can't be too bad, right? I'm actually excited to start this new adventure. Hopefully, you'll follow me and get a dose of my reality and sarcasm as often as I'm able to update.


Until later. Pray, Hope, & Don't Worry ~ St. Padre Pio

8 comments:

  1. Way to go, girl. Glad to see you're sharing your experiences with everyone to enlighten those of us who are a little unfamiliar with the topic. I hope it's cathartic for you as well. And remember, "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ~ Bernard Baruch Also, Dr. Seuss nailed it as well: "You’ll get mixed up of course, as you already know.
    You’ll get mixed up with many strange birds as you go.
    So be sure when you step.
    Step with care and great tact
    And remember that Life’s a great balancing act."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bailey, you've put it quite well. Thanks for the support.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for all of God's blessings as you share!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a great support group. Prayers are with you both! I don't know how to blog. Camille

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really glad you decided to blog about it. I find writing so therapeutic. And I know what you mean about feeling 50 lbs lighter just by sharing something personal and central to your daily existence with others- whether you know them or not.
    Much love and support always-

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Michelle, mom just told me about your blog. My heart is with you. Depression is with us and is heartwrenching. It is an illness just like any other physical illness. Love to all of you, Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea. Hopefully another side effect is that you'll find out so many other people deal with depression and bipolar disorder in their lives, as well. Virtually everyone in my family has been diagnosed with some degree of depression and social anxiety - it's the family bug. You definitely have my support.

    ReplyDelete