Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Quitting smoking: Take 35

If any of you are smokers, you can surely empathize with David on the difficulties of quitting. I estimate this is his 35th time trying to quit, though I suspect I may have under-counted. As someone without an addictive personality, I cannot fully understand why it is so hard, but I get the gist of it. It is not just a mental addiction, but a physical one as well.

If you've ever witnessed first-hand a person trying to quit, it is not a pretty site. This is particularly true for those with a mental illness. Research shows that the percentage of those with a mental illness who smoke is as high as 50%. Nicotine increases the levels of dopamine released into the brain much the same way as cocaine. For an individual who is bi-polar, this creates a happy feeling they are constantly trying to attain. So when smoking a cigarette makes David feel better in a short eight seconds after taking the first drag, it makes sense that he was up to a pack a day.

Obviously, giving up something that provides relief from a constant feeling of sadness wouldn't be anyone's first choice. However, David wants to live a healthier, smoke-free life, and has determined nicotine makes his meds less effective. So, once again we embark on this journey.

Since the nicotine has an effect on his dopamine levels and the workings of his meds, it makes sense that the absence of nicotine will have an equal and opposite effect. The withdrawal (even with the substitution of a lower-dose e-cigarette) is horrible. He literally acts like he is detoxing from hard-core drugs. He's irritable, hot and cold, has headaches, and his mood fluctuates faster than a hummingbird's wings.

We are in day two of withdrawal (or as I call it, stay away from Mr Grumpy) and it is going as wonderfully as you would expect. I'm elated that he is quitting, and trying to be a cheerleader as he is adamant that this time is for good (God help us we cannot go through this again!).  They say it takes 72 hours to detox...only 40 hours to go! I'll let you know if we make it, though I have faith that God will carry us through. We will take any prayers you want to send our way :)

Until later. Pray, Hope, & Don't Worry ~ St. Padre Pio

4 comments:

  1. I quit 20 years ago and it felt like I lost my best friend. I had to change my life and how and when I did things. It's hard, but he'll be glad he did. My prayers raw with you both. Camille

    ReplyDelete
  2. I smoked a pack a day for 12 yrs! This October was my one yr since quitting and it's still very hard to stay away from cigarettes! It's hard but so worth it! Good luck! ~ Lauren;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lauren! He's gone a week now!!! I'm so proud of you for quitting.

      Delete