Friday, January 13, 2012

Need a little support??

Last night was the second meeting of the DBSA (Depression and Bi-Polar Support Alliance) KC Metro Support Group that David started at Research Medical Center. To our surprise and delight we had some new faces, and learned that Research is not only promoting the group within the in and out-patient programs, but also adding the details to all of their discharge paperwork - Go Research!!! While I obviously cannot share anything from group as we adhere to a strict confidentiality policy, I can tell you that it was really enlightening to have others join and to hear their stories. There was actually quite a bit of laughter as the realization of similar thoughts, feelings, and experiences were shared by many.

This is my first experience in a support group setting, and I can now fully appreciate the benefit it provides to those in need. Throughout the night, I was thinking about how much in common I have with my best friends and how with my very best friend, I can share anything and everything without any fear of judgement. Sitting there, I suddenly realized that David and others will his illness can't and don't always find that. That thought made me truly emotional as I don't know where I would be without my sounding board, the person who I share so many commonalities it's a little scary, and my overall cheerleader.

So I sat there and really reflected on how amazing my husband truly is. He battles his illness everyday, with me and his therapist as his only real outlets. He is not fully healthy and yet he wanted to create a place where others similar to him could come and share. A place where they can feel safe and free from judgement. I am utterly amazed by his strength and lack of selfishness. Yesterday wasn't the best of days for him, but he wanted to go to support group because he said "what if someone needs group tonight to keep them from doing something they really don't want to do." God, I love this man more and more everyday.

If you or someone you know would like to attend his group, please visit his site for more details. http://dbsakcmetro.sharepoint.com/Pages/default.aspx Again, all information is compeletly confidential. Always feel free to call of email either of us if you are in need - we have to lean on each other in order to stand tall on our own.

I'll leave you with one fact today that reminds me how important help truly is: 30% of all depressed individuals and 25% of those with bi-polar will die by suicide when the hopelessness outweighs the good in life. Stop the stigma that keeps these individuals too scared to share their feelings.

Pray, Hope, & Don't Worry ~ St. Padre Pio

2 comments:

  1. Michele, I sense God's strong hand of healing wrapping around both you and David as you journey to support others who are in similar situations. God is at work here, and in major ways that are yet to be revealed. So blessed to be a part of yours and David's journey. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete